Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Beloved

Eagan, a flawed man, learned that "brokenness is proper to the human condition, that we must forgive ourselves for being unlovable, inconsistent, incompetent, irritable, and potbellied, and he knew that his sins could not keep him from God. They have all been redeemed by the blood of Christ. In repentance he took his shadow self to the Cross and dared to live as a forgiven man." In Eagan's journey one hears echoes of Merton: "God is asking me, the unworthy, to forget my unworthiness and that of my brothers, and dare to advance in the love which has redeemed and renewed us all in God's likeness. And to laugh, after all, at the preposterous ideas of 'worthiness.'" (page 50)
Then he states something I will ponder for years; "make the Lord and his immense love for you constitutive of your personal worth. Define yourself radically as one beloved by God. God's love for you and his choice of you constitute your worth. Accept that, and let it become the most important thing in your life."
"The basis of my personal worth is not my possessions, my talents, not esteem of others, reputation...not kudos of appreciation from parents and kids, not applause, and everyone telling you how important you are to the place...I stand anchored now in God before whom I stand naked, this God who tells me "You are my son or daughter, my beloved one." (emphasis added) (page 51)

God created us for union with Himself; This is the original purpose of our lives. And God is defined as love (1 John 4:16). Living in awareness of our belovedness is the axis around which the Christian life revolves. Being the beloved is our identity, the core of our existence. It is not merely a lofty thought, an inspiring idea, or one name among many. It is the name by which God knows us and the way he relates to us.


As He has said, "If anyone has ears to hear, let him listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches: to those who prove victorious I will give the hidden manna and a white stone- a stone with a new name written on it, known only to the man who receives it" (Revelation 2:17)




No comments:

Post a Comment