Saturday, June 13, 2009

Gem-like Jam

I was privileged enough to enjoy the entire day
with my family yesterday making strawberry jam.
Grandma Turner is practically famous for the greatest jam ever (at least in our family).
And no one really knew how to make it until my sister Kalee
decided we needed to have a family canning day.
My mom washed the jars.

Grandma had a special way of slicing the strawberries.


She then would take the sliced berries and
place them into the kitchen aid
grinder extension, making exactly 2 cups a batch.


I then helped when it came to the 'Sure jell' step
...making sure to follow the instructions precisely.



Shaun had to approve of each and every batch.




Here is the entire canning team.
From the left, Stephanie (my sweet sister-in-law), Shaun,
my mom, Grandma Turner, and Kalee (my sister).




After the first two batches, we asked Grandma to put
her feet up for awhile, and Kalee took over the grinding.





Stephanie was then in charge of the sterilization of all of the jars and sealing of lids.





I wanted to take this picture to show you
the type of Grandmother I have. She still carries the
box with the extensions for her
kitchen supplies around. I believe this one is from the 1950's.




The picture below shows you the high-tech contraption
Grandma T has developed over the years for the
grinding process to be complete.



Grandma Turner taking a much needed break with her dog Tally.


The girls in the kitchen trying to
complete another batch on our own.



Sisters bonding over jamming.





So many jars!
They soon took over the kitchen.





Sweet Stephanie and Turner!



Turner was so proud of the end result!



He could have made a commercial
for strawberry jam!
Turner says "ta-da-da"!


Coleman Eich (Kalee's fiance) soon showed up and
we were so excited to share with him our end result!



I am not allowed to tell the blogging world what all
the 201 jars of homemade
strawberry jam are for at this time.

3 comments:

  1. I thought about you guys and was hoping you would post pictures of this fun family event :) What a memorable day!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trade you a jar of Salsa for a jar of jam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! It's really great that you have that special time with your grandmother, too!

    ReplyDelete