When the apostle Paul was addressing the church in Thessalonica, after his greeting he writes, “We always thank God for all of you.” As I address you today I understand how indebted I am as pastor to the wonderful people that make up the Denver First Church of the Nazarene. Sherri and I thank God for you in so many ways. Today I bring you good news of a journey that I, along with the Worship and Arts search committee and Church Board, have been on since August.
Pastor Shaun McClellan has accepted our offer to be our Worship Pastor here at DFC. After many weeks of researching and contacting different candidates for this important position, we have decided through prayer and much discussion, that Pastor Shaun best represents what we need as a congregation as we move into the future. DFC has had a history of great worship leaders. One of those incredible leaders has been Michael Cork. We consulted Michael about the worship leader transition several weeks ago. Just yesterday, as I advised Michael of our decision, he wholeheartedly endorsed Pastor Shaun as our new leader. Saying, in essence, that he agreed that Pastor Shaun has the gifting and anointing to lead us here at DFC as worship leader!
As so many of you know, Shaun and Courtney and their two boys call DFC their home. Courtney grew up in DFC and Shaun has ministered to us through the years. Pastor Shaun has a deep commitment to leading us in worship as well as shepherding those who are, and will be, ministering with him in the Worship and Arts department. He is a humble man and would say it’s not about him, but I, as your pastor, want all of you to know some of the honors Pastor Shaun has received by using his talent for Christ.
- He has served as Worship Pastor of two COK churches in the Nazarene denomination. COK stands for ‘churches over a 1,000 in average attendance’. There are only 30 churches out of the 5,000 in our denomination that run over 1,000 in attendance. Those churches have been Valparaiso and Wichita First Church.
- Ordained Deacon in the Church of the Nazarene.
- Worship Leader and Guest Artist for Shadow Mountain Church and Arena Events for Dr. David Jeremiah for over 8000 in attendance.
- Worship Leader for Nazarene General Assembly for over 50,000 in attendance.
- Worship Leader for Nazarene Youth Congress for over 10,000 in attendance.
- Background vocals for Larnell Harris and other studio artists.
- Worship Leader for Revivals, Seminars and camps across the country.
- Guest artist for community events and theater including locally Bandimere Speedway and Lakewood Cultural Center.
Pastor Shaun has a heritage and a love for his denomination. He is committed to continue our loyalty to the traditions and theology of our great work. Pastor Shaun also best reflects an ability to honor what has been, but also to move us to what will be, as we reach out to an ever-changing culture here in Denver and to our mission around the world.
Finally, I want to exhort and encourage you to pray for Pastor Shaun and Courtney and to support them and the DFC leadership in this decision. This is a significant step of faith for them and all of us here at DFC. Let us all get behind the McClellans and pray for them and love them, just as you have done for me and many other pastors who have been called to lead this diverse and great congregation. I believe this choice is God’s will for us here at DFC.
We will be praying for and lifting the McClellans up in both services this Sunday. Please be here if at all possible! Thanks again for your support and prayers. We anticipate great days ahead for DFC!
You are loved!
Pastor Shawn A. Siegfreid
Lead Pastor DFC